6 Best Outboard Motor for Canoe Reviews (Gas and Electric) 2020
Looking for the best outboard motor for canoe in 2020?. Well, then you have come to the right place. In this guide, you can expect to learn the following:
- What is an outboard motor?
- Our top-rated outboard motors for canoes
- What is the difference between inboard and outboard motors?
- What are the advantages of an outboard motor?
- A quick buyer’s guide on outboard motors for Canoe
Outboard motors for canoes are a great way to save space, be economical, appear sexier, and have more power for your marine activities. Whether it is fishing, entertainment, leisure, or just cleaning river water.
There are different brands of outboard motors for small watercraft like canoes that can deliver adequate power for your canoeing activities. Some are ultra-quiet in operation and won’t scare away the fish when fishing. Plus you can fish all day long without it being overheated.
After a deep research, here are some of the best outboard motors for canoes to help you save time and information overload.
Quick List of the Top-Rated Outboard Motors for Canoes
Short on time? We understand. Check out this quick overview of our favorite outboard motors for canoes.
- Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
- Newport Vessels L-Series 62lb Thrust Transom Mount Trolling Motor
- Coleman Powersports 2.6 HP Outboard Motor
- U-BCOO 8 Speed Saltwater Transom Electric Trolling Motor
- Newport Vessels NV-Series 55lb Thrust Saltwater Transom Trolling Electric Motor
- SEA DOG WATER SPORTS 4 Stroke 4.0 HP Outboard Motor
What is an Outboard Motor?
An outboard motor is a propulsion system for canoes and boats which usually comprises a self-contained unit that includes an engine, propeller or jet drive, and a gearbox. It is designed to be affixed to the outside of the transom.
Outboard motors are the most common motorized method used to propel small watercraft like the canoes. Besides providing propulsion for these small watercraft, they also provide steering control. This they do by pivoting over their mountings and thus control the direction of the thrust.
Best Outboard Motor for Canoes Reviews
Here are our top selected best outboard motors for canoes reviewed that will help you save time and prevent overwhelming information overload online.
1). Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
The Minn Kota Endura trolling motor is one of the high performing outboard motors which is both affordable and easy to install. It delivers unyielding toughness, easy control, and instant response.
There are three sizes to choose from; 30-inch shaft, 36-inch shaft, and 42-in shaft. You can also choose from the five different styles that are available.
This trolling motor is backed by a Minn Kota 2-year warranty and the package comes with a trolling motor, prop pin, pro nut, and a prop washer. The 30-inch shaft motor is one of the best small outboard motors for canoes.
- 12-volt with a thrust level of 30
- 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds
- Lever locked bracket for a solid mount
2) Newport Vessels L-Series 62lb Thrust Transom Mount Trolling Motor
If you would like one of the best quiet trolling motors for your canoe, then this Newport Vessels L-Series transom-mounted trolling motor is recommended for you. It is perfect for fishing all day long without any risk of overheating or scaring the fish away.
It is also designed to be saltwater compatible. So you can use it in your saltwater and freshwater fishing. This canoe outboard motor comes with a 2-year warranty and it’s one of the best electric outboard motors for canoe owners.
- 6-inch telescoping handle
- Max Amp Draw – 58
- 5 forward speeds, and 3 reverse speeds
- 10-Point LED Battery Meter
3). Coleman Powersports 2.6 HP Outboard Motor
This Coleman outboard motor is well-engineered to be lightweight, quiet, and reliable for boat lovers. It features TCI ignition for easy starting along with fan shifting with 360-degree steering, shallow water drive, adjustable steering friction, vibration reduction, twist grip, and also marine aluminum alloy for corrosion protection. If you are looking for the best gas motor for canoe or boat, this outboard motor comes recommended.
- quiet, 4-stroke motor, 31-gallon internal gas Tank
- F-n/360 degree steering
- 1 cylinder OHV engine
- Weighs only 37.5lb
4). U-BCOO 8 Speed Saltwater Transom Electric Trolling Motor
This is one of the best electric outboard motors for canoe owners that is great for luring fishes. This multi-purpose trolling motor has advantages of high-quality performance, it is lightweight and compact.
It is easy to adjust the angle and length to your preference. It is a great outboard motor for saltwater and freshwater and can be used widely on a variety of small watercraft like a canoe, fishing boats, leisure, water entertainment, river cleaning, and aquaculture.
- 46lb thrust & 12 volts
- 5-inch composite fiberglass shaft for durability
- 5-inch telescopic handle
- Features 8 different speed settings
5). Newport Vessels NV-Series 55lb Thrust Saltwater Transom Trolling Electric Motor
The Newport Vessels NV-Series thrust saltwater transom-mounted electric trolling motor is an ultra-quiet outboard motor that is reliable and allows you to fish all day long without overheating or scaring away the fish.
With its saltwater compatible hardware, you can enter any water with it without any issues with damage. You can also choose from the five different thrusts available. Plus, it comes with a 2-year warranty.
- 55lb Thrust 12 volt power (available in other powers)
- Max amp draw 52a
- 3 propeller blades
- 5-Point LED Battery Meter
- 8 Speeds and 6-Inch Telescoping Handle
6).SEA DOG WATER SPORTS 4 Stroke 4.0 HP Outboard Motor
This SEA DOG WATER SPORTS outboard motor is fuel-efficient and is also one of the affordable best oil engines for canoes and small boats that have fuel-saving technology built into it with an advanced combustion chamber with four-stroke outboard engine.
It is suitable for saltwater and freshwater and can be used for canoes, inflatable kayaks, fishing boats, sailboats, and more.
- The engine has been certified by CE. 360° rotary handle with self-lock
- 4 stroke air-cooled outboard motor
- The maximum power output:2.8KW
What is the Difference Between Inboard and Outboard Motors?
An inboard motor is an inboard engine which is placed inside the hull of the boat or canoe.
Inboard motor consists of two main parts; the powerhead, which is similar to the engine of a car and the second part is the drive shaft, which is the metal shaft that is attached to the propeller. Both parts work in harmony to propel the canoe.
On the other hand, an outboard motor is a type where the entire engine is bolted on the Exterior at the transom of the canoe or boat.
They also come with drive systems but the main difference is that they are mounted outside the boat.
The upper section houses the powerhead, the middle section is bolted to the transom using about 4 to 6 bolts and the lower section.
There is really not much difference between the two types of motors except the inboard motor is permanently placed inside the boat and helps propel the boat through the hull while an outboard motor is placed outside the boat and is mounted by clamps at the stern of the boat.
Generally, outboard motors are more common because they are more appealing and give the boat a sexier look. This even makes some large boats prefer to add two outboard engines than get an inboard engine.
What are the Advantages of an Outboard Motor?
One of the common questions many canoe or boat owners ask is; what are the advantages of an outboard motor?. Here are some of the pros of using an outboard motor on your canoe or boat.
- Saves space: Unlike inboard motors that require you to fit them inside the canoe, outboard motors are mounted on the transom and hence do not take space inside the boat
- Low maintenance: Outboard motors are more accessible and require less maintenance. They don’t need to be winterized and you don’t need to raise the boat to access them.
- More efficient power: Pound for Pound, outboard motors deliver more power and speed than inboards. They are lighter, easier to tow, and more fuel-efficient.
- More draft: The shallow draft of outboard engines allow you to cruise more shallow water- especially when fishing or dropping anchor to swim.
- Faster performance: Outboards are mostly faster to plane, deliver better 0-to-30 MPH acceleration, and offer greater top speed.
- Better fuel economy: Outboard engines also offer a better fuel economy with fewer gallons per hour and more miles per gallon.
Quick Buyer’s Guide on Outboard Motors for Canoe
Choosing an outboard motor is an important decision by any canoe owner. With all the benefits that come with owning an outboard engine for canoes, you ought to make the right choice to enjoy your sailing experience.
Here are some features to guide you in your selection of the best outboard motor for canoe.
The power of outboard motors is specified or measured in HP(horsepower). The higher the HP rating of the motor, the faster the engine but the more fuel it is likely to consume. There are outboard motors available in the market with different power specifications. It is up to you to choose the one that suits your needs. But because canoes are small watercraft, a small outboard motor will provide enough power.
Features such as CDI ignition system which is a mechanism that promotes easy-starting and start-in-gear features which prevent clutch damage by rotating the prop when the motor is idle. Air Cooling feature also prevents overheating in hot weather to increase the motor lifespan. These features when present in outboard motors, make them easier to use and more efficient.
Most outboards have a 360-degree steering feature to help with reversing the canoe and make it easy to avoid unwanted situations when you are canoeing.
An outboard motor should ideally not be heavy. So you will find a variety of lighter materials are used to construct these motors. Engineered plastic and aluminum are mostly used to make them for durability and strength.